Tax Items Needed

Income Documents Needed

  • W-2 If you are an employee and have taxes withheld
  • Sch K-1 Partnership Income and/or S Corp Income
  • 1099-G Unemployed or have a State Refund
  • 1099-MISC Miscellaneous Income / Subcontractor Income / Rental Income
  • 1099-R Retirement Income
  • SSA-1099 Social Security Income
  • RRB-1099 Railroad Benefits
  • 1099-INT Interest Income
  • 1099-OID Original Issue Date
  • 1099-DVI Dividend Income
  • 1099-B Sale of Stock
  • 1099-S Proceeds from Real-estate Transaction
  • 1099-SA Health Savings Account Distribution
  • 1099-LTC Long Term Reimbursement
  • W-2G Gambling Income
  • 1099-_ Any and all other types of 1099’s

Expense and Other Documents Needed

  • Sch K-1 Partnership Loss &/or S Corp Loss
  • 1098 Mortgage Statement
  • 1098-_ All other types of 1098’s
  • 1098-T Tuition Expense for an Education Institute
  • 1098-E Student Loan Interest
  • 1095-A Health Coverage thru the Marketplace
  • 1095-B Health Coverage that is Self-Paid
  • 1095-C Health Coverage thru an Employer
  • 5498-SA Contributions to a Health Savings Account
  • 5498 Retirement Contribution
  • 5498-_ All Other

Types of Income Explained

 If you are employed, you will need the following:

  • W-2
  • Unreimbursed business expenses if you have any (see Job Expenses for what can be deducted)

 If you are Self-Employed, you will need the following items:

  • Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
  • Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts for your own records
  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Office in home information, if applicable (sq ft of home and office area, utilities, expenses such as a phone line for the business)
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

 If you own rental property, you will need the following items: 

  • Records of income and expenses
  • 1099-MISC if filed
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

 If you have Retirement Income, you will need the following items:

  • Pension / IRA / annuity income (1099-R)
  • Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)
  • Social security / RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

 If you have Savings, Investments, or Dividends, you will need the following items:

  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
  • Expenses related to your investments
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

 If you have any Other Income or Losses, you will need the following items:

  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
  • Jury duty records
  • Hobby income and expenses
  • Prizes and awards
  • Trusts
  • Royalty Income (1099-MISC)
  • Any other 1099s received
  • Record of alimony paid/received with Ex-spouse’s name and SSN

Types of Deductions Explained:

 If you own a home, you will need the following items:

  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
  • Real estate and personal property tax records
  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (check to see if your product qualifies)
  • All other 1098 series forms

 If you contribute or Donate to a Charity, you will need the following items:

  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, and/or other charitable organizations
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations
  • Amounts of miles driven for charity

 If you incurred Medical Expenses, you will need the following items: 

  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance
  • Doctors, Dentists, & Hospitals Expenses
  • Prescriptions Paid Out of Pocket
  • Mileage Driven to these Appointment
  • Glasses or contacts paid out of pocket

 To provide “Proof of Health Insurance”, you will need the following items: 

  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
  • Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (i.e . . . an employer, insurance company, government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.)
  • Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)

 If you have a child and you paid for Childcare, you will need the following items: 

  • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler, Less any reimbursements form an employer or other assisted reimbursements
  • Wages paid to a baby-sitter
  • EIN or SSN from care provider

 If you paid Educational Expenses, you will need the following items:

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses
  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received
  • Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest

 If you Incurred Job Expenses or Paid Tax Prep Fees, you will need the following items: 

  • Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking)
  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)
  • Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)
  • Job-hunting expenses
  • Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer
  • Mileage driven for work, not commuting, and not reimbursed
  • Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return

 State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax, you will need the following items:  

  • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid
  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

 If you had Retirement & Other Savings, you will need the following items: 

  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

 If you were in a Federally Declared Disaster, you will need the following items: 

  • City / County where you lived / worked / had property in
  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
  • Records of rebuilding / repair costs
  • Insurance reimbursements / claims to be paid
  • FEMA assistance information
  • Check FEMA site to see if your county has been declared a federal disaster area (
  • Receipts of purchase, reimbursement, and loss incurred
Log in