Tax Items Needed

Income Documents Needed

  • W-2 If you are an employee and have taxes withheld
  • Sch K-1 Partnership Income and/or S Corp Income
  • 1099-G Unemployed or have a State Refund
  • 1099-MISC Miscellaneous Income / Subcontractor Income / Rental Income
  • 1099-R Retirement Income
  • SSA-1099 Social Security Income
  • RRB-1099 Railroad Benefits
  • 1099-INT Interest Income
  • 1099-OID Original Issue Date
  • 1099-DVI Dividend Income
  • 1099-B Sale of Stock
  • 1099-S Proceeds from Real-estate Transaction
  • 1099-SA Health Savings Account Distribution
  • 1099-LTC Long Term Reimbursement
  • W-2G Gambling Income
  • 1099-_ Any and all other types of 1099’s

Expense and Other Documents Needed

  • Sch K-1 Partnership Loss &/or S Corp Loss
  • 1098 Mortgage Statement
  • 1098-_ All other types of 1098’s
  • 1098-T Tuition Expense for an Education Institute
  • 1098-E Student Loan Interest
  • 1095-A Health Coverage thru the Marketplace
  • 1095-B Health Coverage that is Self-Paid
  • 1095-C Health Coverage thru an Employer
  • 5498-SA Contributions to a Health Savings Account
  • 5498 Retirement Contribution
  • 5498-_ All Other

Types of Income Explained

 If you are employed, you will need the following:

  • W-2
  • Unreimbursed business expenses if you have any (see Job Expenses for what can be deducted)

 If you are Self-Employed, you will need the following items:

  • Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
  • Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts for your own records
  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Office in home information, if applicable (sq ft of home and office area, utilities, expenses such as a phone line for the business)
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

 If you own rental property, you will need the following items: 

  • Records of income and expenses
  • 1099-MISC if filed
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

 If you have Retirement Income, you will need the following items:

  • Pension / IRA / annuity income (1099-R)
  • Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)
  • Social security / RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

 If you have Savings, Investments, or Dividends, you will need the following items:

  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
  • Expenses related to your investments
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

 If you have any Other Income or Losses, you will need the following items:

  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
  • Jury duty records
  • Hobby income and expenses
  • Prizes and awards
  • Trusts
  • Royalty Income (1099-MISC)
  • Any other 1099s received
  • Record of alimony paid/received with Ex-spouse’s name and SSN

Types of Deductions Explained:

 If you own a home, you will need the following items:

  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
  • Real estate and personal property tax records
  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (check to see if your product qualifies)
  • All other 1098 series forms

 If you contribute or Donate to a Charity, you will need the following items:

  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, and/or other charitable organizations
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations
  • Amounts of miles driven for charity

 If you incurred Medical Expenses, you will need the following items: 

  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance
  • Doctors, Dentists, & Hospitals Expenses
  • Prescriptions Paid Out of Pocket
  • Mileage Driven to these Appointment
  • Glasses or contacts paid out of pocket

 To provide “Proof of Health Insurance”, you will need the following items: 

  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
  • Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (i.e . . . an employer, insurance company, government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.)
  • Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)

 If you have a child and you paid for Childcare, you will need the following items: 

  • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler, Less any reimbursements form an employer or other assisted reimbursements
  • Wages paid to a baby-sitter
  • EIN or SSN from care provider

 If you paid Educational Expenses, you will need the following items:

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses
  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received
  • Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest

 If you Incurred Job Expenses or Paid Tax Prep Fees, you will need the following items: 

            (The below items are available 2017 & previous years however, some items are not available for 2018 &forward)

  • Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking)
  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12) - Still Valid in 2018 & Forward
  • Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)
  • Job-hunting expenses
  • Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer - Still Valid in 2018 & Forward
  • Mileage driven for work, not commuting, and not reimbursed
  • Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return

 State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax, you will need the following items:  

  • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid
  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

 If you had Retirement & Other Savings, you will need the following items: 

  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

 If you were in a Federally Declared Disaster, you will need the following items: 

  • City / County where you lived / worked / had property in
  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
  • Records of rebuilding / repair costs
  • Insurance reimbursements / claims to be paid
  • FEMA assistance information
  • Check FEMA site to see if your county has been declared a federal disaster area (
  • Receipts of purchase, reimbursement, and loss incurred
Newsome’s Tax & Accounting Inc. is a family owned and operated business, established in 1996, and dedicated to offering the best customer service available. is our website designed to help taxpayers and business clients quickly find accurate, easy-to-understand information, along with providing a one-stop business shop dedicated to helping clients grow their businesses.

Contact Us